Wednesday, October 31, 2007

November's Player of the Month: Kevin Lambert!


Kevin's been with CSz for two years, and after a summer away in Puerto Rico, he's ready to get back on the comedy bandwagon. Here's our interview with him.

You have been a player since…?

November 2005.

What prior stage/performing experience did you have before joining ComedySportz?

I did theater in high school. I did a couple shows down at the Center Street Musical Theater in Provo while I was doing the workshops at ComedySportz.

How did you get involved with ComedySportz?

Years and years and years ago I did theater games in one of my drama classes in high school. I loved it. I wasn’t very good, but I loved it. And I remember watching the old British version of Whose Line Is It, Anyway? I was always impressed with people who could do improv.

Then I moved to Provo to go to school. I went to a couple of ComedySportz shows just amazed that people could do that kind of stuff. I signed up for the workshops in 2003 and loved it. Stuck with it through the intermediate class, even though I had to bow out for six months because of school.

Did you ever have a moment where you couldn’t believe you were actually performing in a ComedySportz show?

Doing improv has been a lifelong goal for me. The first night I played, I was probably a nervous wreck. I did okay…I would hate to see a video of myself performing that night. I remember being on stage and just being shocked that I was there. I had the greatest time. It was one of those moments where you get to finally check something off on that lifetime to-do lists. I’ve loved it ever since.

I still get nervous. When I’m driving to the club to do a show I get this nervous, little bit awkward feeling like, what’s going to happen tonight? I love performing here, and that’s all there is to it.

What is your favorite ComedySportz game?

I have this strange love for Chain Murder. I don’t know why. I think it’s great. Especially when you have an audience volunteer who is absolutely lost. It’s one of the funniest things to watch.

What is your least favorite game?


Mousetrap.

While you were in Puerto Rico, your brother Jeff started performing with ComedySportz. He has since moved to California for military training.

Jeffrey and I are very similar. We’ve always loved improv. We used to go check out shows together and stuff. Then I started doing it, and I would tell him about it, and he’d come watch shows. I convinced him to do the workshops.

One of my regrets is that we never got to play in a show together. But someday we will.

No comments: